CraftWorld now has a map as of v2.5!
This feature despite being 70% complete was not intended to be available in this release. We forgot to take out the debug crafting template prior to release, which means that with a fair bit of effor, you can create a map of your very own. The map is linked to the upcoming book craft and farming systems, so the required materials to make it properly are not yet available.
To create one in v2.5, you will need to scout the world for “Hemp” (More on that later). It looks like tall grass right now, as the art is still incomplete. Simply arrange four pieces of hemp in a square in your personal crafting area, or on a workbench. Here are some of the warnings I must issue before you run off and start making them:
- Hemp is very rare, and hard to find due to a lack of art. The farming system will rectify this, but is still incomplete.
- It has not been tested or optimised. It may make your game run slow, it may crash your game completely. It may do both after 10 seconds or 10 hours.
- It has no markers, legend, fog or any gameplay helpers that would make this a proper map.
- We do not know what would happen if you have more than one.
- It will be fully completed, and made properly available in v2.6 along with the compass. Do not expect it to have save file compatibility with the map from v2.5, as it is not meant to be available., although we will put in the standard basic conversion system.
The map displays all regions in memory when the game is running. Later, it will be limited to specific areas, require activation, show only explored areas, show spawn points, death points or any number of other traits. These are as yet undecided, and open to discussion on our forums. Maps will also be placeable just like paintings in the world, which will allow you to assemble map rooms or just provide direction without the need for holding it.
Hemp is an uncommon crop found in the plains in CraftWorld. Before v2.5, it was better known as “Hops” but has be re-purposed as Hemp. So if you currently have some Hops, hang on to it. It will become Hemp when you update. Hemp is not used for Smoking in CraftWorld, instead it will serve a similar role to cotton, or flax in the real world. It can make string in v2.5, and later on it will be used to create cloth, rope and paper due to its versatility in the real world.
This item is still under development, and serves a simple purpose. Tell you where north is. In combination with the map, you will have the ability to navigate from any direction. Be sure to build markers, and keep your resurrection stone in a safe place. The compass will be available in v2.6.
I’ll be posting again about the changes to the smithing system, especially regarding the metals and alloys.
Thanks for reading!
EDIT: The template is 4xHemp in a square. See the sand and the pale grass above? Hemp grows where it is hot, bordering deserts in clusters of 6-20, but only the mature plant is harvestable. Dig up the block beneath to have it drop.